Aromatic Saffron Rice layered with lots of vegetables and served with burrani(garlic flavoured yogurt).
- 1½ cups Basmati Rice
- 2 medium Carrots
- 2 medium Carrots
- 10-15 French beans
- 10-12 florets Cauliflower
- 1 cup Green peas
- Salt to taste
- 5-6 Green Cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 2 Black Cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 10-15 Cloves (laung)
- ½ inch Cinnamon (dalchini) 2 sticks
- 1 Bay Leaf (tez patta)
- ½ tsp Caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- 1 ½ Tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp Coriander powder
- ¾ cup Yogurt
- ½ tsp Rose water
- Saffron (kesar) a few strands
- ½ cup Fresh tomato puree
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 2 Tbsp Fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 2 Tbsp Fresh mint leaves chopped
- ½ cup crispy fried Onions
- ½ cup fried Cottage Cheese
- 2 tsp Clarified Butter (Desi Ghee)
- 2 Tbsp roasted Cashew
- 2 Tbsp roasted Almond
- 2 Tbsp roasted Raisin
- 1 cup Yoghurt
- 5-6 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- Cook Rice until ¾th done with 2 Green Cardamoms, 1 Black Cardamom, 5 Cloves, ½ stick of Cinnamon.
Heat a Wok. Add the remaining Green Cardamoms, Cloves, Black Cardamom and Cinnamon along with Bay Leaf and Caraway Seeds and roast. Add Onions, Carrot, French Beans, Cauliflower florets and Green peas.Sprinkle salt, cover and cook on medium heat for two minutes.
- Add Ginger-Garlic paste mixed with a little water and stir. Cover and cook for two minutes. Add Turmeric Powder, Red chilli powder and Coriander powder and cook.
- Add Tomato puree and ¼ cup Yogurt to the vegetables along with half teaspoon Garam masala powder and mix well. Simmer for two minutes.
Whisk remaining Yogurt with Rose water and Saffron. Add a little Water or Milk and whisk well.
- Take a microwave safe deep bowl.Arrange a layer of Rice at the bottom. Over that arrange half the cooked Vegetables, Cottage cheese, roasted dry fruits and Yogurt mixture followed by half of the remaining Garam masala powder, half the Coriander leaves, half the Mint leaves, Fried Onions and half the Yogurt mixture. Arrange the remaining vegetables followed by the remaining Rice.Sprinkle the remaining Garam masala powder, remaining Coriander leaves, remaining Mint leaves, remaining Cottage cheese, fried Onions,roasted dry fruits and the remaining Yogurt mixture. On top layer add little Clarified Butter.
- Cover with a silicon lid and cook in the microwave oven for four to five minutes on HIGH (100%). Let it stand for five minutes. Serve hot with Burrani, sliced onions and mint chutney.
- Whisk the Yogurt till smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients to Yogurt and mix well. Place in refrigerator to chill about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve Chilled.
- I’ve used Tomato Puree but Awadhi biryani doesn’t contain tomato so you can avoid it and instead add little more Yogurt.
- Instead of roasting dry fruits in oil you can dry roast them in a heated wok or place them in microwave on HIGH 100% for 34-40 seconds.
- Adding clarified butter on top gives a more authentic flavour and a nice aroma you can avoid it if you want.
- Make sure that silicon lid of your microwave safe bowl is closed properly.
- Instead of chopping mint and coriander leaves tear them roughly using your hand