Samosa! this snack doesn’t need an introduction everyone’s favourite snack in any season or any occasion. Crispy fried pastry with potatoes and peas filling served with mint chutney and tamarind chutney.
For the dough:
- 1½ cups all Purpose Flour(Maida)
- 2 tablespoons Oil/Butter/Ghee
- ¼ teaspoon Carom Seeds(Ajwain)
For potato peas filling:
- 2 large boiled and mashed Potatoes
- ½ cup fresh Green Peas
- 1 long Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ⅛ tsp dry Mango Powder
- ¼ tsp Chaat Masala Powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- Oil for deep-frying Samosa.
Preparing the Stuffing
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add Cumin seeds.
- When seeds crackle, add the Asafoetida, Green Chilli and Ginger-Garlic paste and sauté for few seconds.
- Add Potatoes and Green Peas, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Garam Masala, dry Mango Powder, Coriander Powder, Chat masala and Salt mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously.
Preparing the Samosa
- Knead dough well till smooth and elastic adding all ingredients mentioned above. Divide into equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of dough into oval sheet. Cut the oval sheet into two equal portions.
- Take one portion and make cone of it by joining edges. Fill the stuffing in the cone and apply little water on edges to seal it. Repeat with remaining dough and stuffing.
- FRYING-Heat oil in a wok and deep fry Samosa till golden brown.
- BAKING (Recommended)-Brush oil on samosa and bake at 180 degree celsius for 30-35 min or till golden brown in a pre-heated oven.
- DOUBLE FRYING (Recommended)- Put samosa in hot oil on high flame and fry till it turns opaque and doesn’t breaks while taking them out. Again Put them in oil this time flame on low and fry till they turn golden brown.
- Serve Hot with Green Chutney and Tamarind Chutney.
- After preparing Samosa put them in refrigerator for 25-30 minutes before frying so that they soak less oil and become crisp.
- If you are having a problem in making cone or if your cone doesn’t seal properly use a gujiya maker.
- Go for double frying method because there are chances of tiny air bubble pockets in single frying procedure or if you want healthy samosa then go for baking method..