You can easily buy Pizza base from market, but you can never be sure on its quality and hygiene, so why not make it at home. To improve the nutritional value of your favourite pizza, make it by using Whole-Wheat flour. Using half whole-wheat flour and half all-purpose flour yields a light crust and distinctive taste.
- 1 cup Whole-Wheat flour
- 1 cup All-Purpose flour or Refined flour
- 2¼ tsp Yeast
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Sugar
- ¾ cup luke warm Water
- 1 tsp Olive Oil or any other Oil
- In a bowl add little Water, Sugar and Yeast and leave it to activate for 20-25 minutes or till you see bubbles in it.
- In a large bowl combine Whole-Wheat flour, all-purpose flour, Salt and Oil mix well. Now add Water(as required) to make a smooth, soft and non-sticky dough.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap or muslin cloth and leave for about 1-1½ hours.
- Now divide dough into equal portions and roll them according to thickness that you want. Make some holes in it using a fork or tooth pick.
- Place base on baking tray and bake for about 5-6 minutes on 200 degree celsius in a pre-heated oven.
- Add cheese and topping of your choice and enjoy your pizza. Alternatively you can store it in refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- After making and rising the dough place it in refrigerator overnight and let it out an hour before shaping the dough. This allows gluten to digest carbohydrates and improves flavour and browning of crust.
- To add more flavour to your base mix your favourite herbs and spices in melted butter and brush them on pizza base in last 1-2 minutes of baking.
- Rolling out perfect round base requires a lot of practice so don’t worry about shape too much and enjoy taste of your pizza. You’ll definitely get round base after some practice (even I don’t get a perfect round shape).