Pav Bhaji is a fast food dish from Maharashtra, consisting of a thick vegetable curry (bhaji) usually prepared in butter (I’ve used very less oil) and served with a soft bread roll (Pav). You can eat it in dinner, lunch or breakfast.
- 2 Carrots
- 2 large Potato
- 1/2 Capsicum
- 200 gm French beans
- 100 gm Broccoli/Cauliflower
- ½ cup Peas
- ½ cup Pumpkin
- 2 large chopped Tomatoes
- 1 large chopped Onion
- 2 chopped Green Chillies
- 1 Lemon
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds (rai)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Pav Bhaji Masala
- 1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
- Salt as per taste
- Red chilli powder as per taste
- 4-5 Whole Wheat Pav
- Chop all the Vegetables and put them in a pressure cooker (except Onion, Tomato and Chilli aside to fry later). Add 1 cup water or whatever quantity is required to fully immerse the vegetables. Add salt, and pressure cook for about 10-12 minutes or till vegetables become soft.
- Mash all the cooked vegetables using a masher.
- In another pan heat Olive Oil in another pan, fry the Onion and then add Green Chillies and Tomatoes. Cook till soft. Add pav bhaji masala and Coriander powder, and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mashed vegetables to the pan and cook on high flame for a minute. If you want thick bhaji then reduce the flame and simmer until it gets thick.
- Heat a nonstick tawa and put Pav on it without using oil or butter and dry roast for a minute.
- Serve with hot whole wheat pav and garnished with chopped Onions and Lemon wedges.
- If you don’t have Pav Bhaji masala then add 2 Tbsp garam masala with 1 tsp dry mango powder.
- You can also grill Pav using butter.
- You can substitute potato with pumpkin to increase nutrition.